Monday 25 February 2013

Sweet Potato, Haloumi and Greens Puff Pie

This recipe was a result of mine & E's need for something delicious & warm during my Weekend in Cambridge.

And it definitely ticks both of those boxes, along with being quick, easy & oh-so-tasty. Essentially it is a feast wrapped in puff pastry. And here is how to make it...

Ingredients for 3 puff pies:
  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 1 bag of greens
  • Haloumi cheese
  • A roll of puff pastry
  • 1 egg wash


First of all, chop your onions into fairly small chunks and fry them so they are soft.
To avoid having tears pouring down your face as I did, I recommend sunglasses to shield the pain of the onions.



Then wash your sweet potatoes & DON'T peel them (the skin adds so much more flavour), then bake them until they are soft (you can do this much quicker in a microwave, but for an oven I recommend about 30-40 minutes).


Wash your greens and steam them to soften them.



At this point you should have your onions, sweet potatoes & greens ready. It is time to roll out the puff pastry. Lay it out and divide it into 3 rectangles (which you will later fold over to make your mini pies).

Chop the Haloumi cheese into small chunks & then add your onions, greens, sweet potato & Haloumi to one side of each rectangle.



Once you've filled each designated side of the pastry, it's time to fold over. Once you have covered it all, pinch the sides of your mini pie so as to not let any of the insides show.

Then grease a baking tray, add the egg wash on top of your pie, and pierce small holes onto the top (not sure why but as that's what they do to pasties - so why not?).

Then wait for around 15-20 minutes with your oven at 200 degrees Celsius. (This time could change according to your oven.)




Once out of the oven they're ready to eat, so dig in & enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. First things first, that watch is amazing!

    Secondly, the pies sound so yummy and not too difficult (I'm a bit rubbish with cooking) so they are definitely going on my "to try" list!

    Thanks for the recipe! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love the map, its not very accurate aha, but it looks so pretty.
      And I definitely recommend giving the pies a go, they are super easy, let me know how you get onxx

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! Also, your watch is so pretty :)

    Louisa's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm this looks really good, it would work well for so many different vegetables too! Awesome watch, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & yes I might experiment a little with the fillings - so many options!xx

      Delete
  4. I've seen that watch all over Pinterest but didn't think I'd ever actually see it for real!!
    Wow, lucky you- such a nice watch.
    Also, I love sweet potatoes- so this post is winning all round in my books :)
    x x

    http://lalangostaymi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I fell in love with the watch as soon as I spotted it! I'm glad, let me know if you try this out, would love to know how you got onxx

      Delete
  5. Oh my! Looks amazing! Too bad I'm not really kitchen-savvy
    :) enjoy
    Ylenia
    Ambitieuse.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's easy even if you're not a great cook, it's worth a try!xx

      Delete
  6. :O Where abouts did you get your watch from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urban Outfitters, they always something gorgeous up their sleeves ahaxx

      Delete
  7. Oh my, this looks absolutely amazing! Sweet potato and halloumi, how could you go wrong?! On a side note, your watch is so pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO delish!! YUMMMMM!
    also love your watch, super cute

    http://liberatedbylkc.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good and maybe even easy to do.. (Fist, must learn to operate my oven)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness, this looks SO good. I'm definitely going to try and make something similar :-)

    Francesca xo
    http://goingroundthemulberrybush.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you do your photos for your recipe posts!

    ReplyDelete