Tuesday 23 April 2013

Hair Scrunchie D.I.Y.

My 90s meets 60s scrunchie is finally done.

And if you want to know how to do it, here is my little tutorial. It is perfect if you like to add a personal touch to your style and super easy (I never sew and even I can say that!).


What you will need:
  • Material of choice (approx 60cm x 20cm)
  • Needle
  • Thread of a similar colour to your material
  • Plain Hair Band

Firstly, I chose my material and thread. Quite taken in by the whole 60s theme I searched the house for a polka dot material, and there it was, b-e-a-utiful.



I then cut it to size with my teeny tiny material scissors which made a pretty wobbly line, but this doesn't matter too much as it'll be hidden - a vague rectangle does help though...

Then I took one of the long edges of the rectangle, and scrunched all that side together (as below) before putting this scrunched area into my hair band.



Then I started doing a teeny tiny running stitch along the outside seam, with the eges folded in so you can't see the ugly sides. (Unless you're going for a grunge look...)


The rest is just sewing from there, I used running stitch all the way through as that's what's easiest, but feel free to make it fancy! My 'fancy' addition was the bunny ears which I adoreeeee!

What I love about this D.I.Y is that I will actually use it, and it does look adorable on a messy bun!
(but I have to admit, buying one from a shop is much much quicker even if it is easy to make!)


19 comments:

  1. Yes!!! Another blogger who loves textiles!! So simple yet perfect for a personal touch! Love it Paprika :)
    Emily xxx
    http://gingerbreadjourney.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! It works really well on a messy bun, I love it nowxx

      Delete
  2. Chanced upon your blog and enjoy reading it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This is such a fun and lovely DIY. I LOVE the shrunchie, looks great. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, it was, especially the end result although it took a bit longer than I'd have liked to create it, totally worth it thoughxx

      Delete
  4. Love this material! So pretty!

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebekah, I loved the 60s look to itxx

      Delete
  5. really lovely DIY thank you for sharing. i also think blue and red are one of the best color combinations known to mankind.

    http://www.lovefromberlin.net/
    xx rae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha I'm glad you like it, I have a lot of blue clothes and red clothes, although I haven't worn them together before, I'll try it out!xx

      Delete
  6. It turned out SO cute! I love the fabric you picked out. I haven't worn a scrunchie in ages, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cute & clever DIY! Love it!! :)

    Have a Fabulous Friday!
    xoxo
    Crystal

    My Blog, Crystal Chizoba
    My YouTube Channel

    ReplyDelete