Monday 15 April 2013

How To Make Sushi

What to do when you have the whole house to yourself for hours & hours? Sushi of course!

I've loved sushi for a while now but I never thought I'd be able to actually make it. But it is sooo easy you'll be surprised.


This is how most of mine looked once I was done, but here is how I began...

The ingredients:
  • Sushi Rice
  • Seaweed sheets (the only English on the packet said Sushi Nori)
  • Filling (I chose tuna & carrot)
  • Rice wine if you're lucky, but I used White wine vinegar mixed with some sugar which worked perfectly
  • Soy Sauce for flavour

First, I prepared the rice. I followed the instructions on my packet, leaving the rice in water (ratio of 1:1.5 of rice to water) & leaving this to soak for 30 minutes. I then boiled it and left it to simmer for 10 minutes before sprinkling on my replacement of rice wine. Finally, I left the rice to stand for 20 minutes. (That's the long bit over)


I squeezed my rice into balls to make it easier and laid out the seaweed sheet so the rough part was facing up. I then spread out the rice thinly just to cover the seaweed, leaving small gaps at the edges.

Then add the filling of your choice. You're hands are likely to get very sticky with the rice so have a small bowl of water ready.



Then you can roll! Put pressure on it as you roll it, then cut down the edge after you've covered the filling ready to do it again.


Then cut the roll at 1.5 inch intervals and they'll be perfectly sized portions ready to gorge on!


28 comments:

  1. Those look amazing! I might try making them when I have the time :)

    Louisa's Notebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get the chance, its amazing how simple they are to make!xx

      Delete
  2. It looks soo yummy ♥
    Dear join to my giveaway in new post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please teach me to make these. I really want a sushi day xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! It would be incredible, they're my favourite food at the momentxx

      Delete
  4. Hello! I just found your blog and I like it! A little bit of everything. And nice drawings, what is it you study?

    jana
    Because of London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you! I'm currently studying lots of maths, Art and Geographyxx

      Delete
  5. Ahhh excited! I bought a sushi set with nori rolls, rice and the rolling mat last week!
    I could live off the stuff and this is making me sooo hungry!
    Yours look very neat!
    xx
    http://gingerbreadjourney.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so cute, I'd love to have a set like that! I hope you get round to making somexx

      Delete
  6. This post is very interesting
    And you have such a nice blog !
    I'm glad I found it


    Http://Fashioneiric.blogspot.com

    Coline ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sushi!! Never tried to make it myself though. Looks like your attempt was a total success, yum :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! It was so easy to make, and is totally delicious, I definitely will be doing this againxx

      Delete
  8. I've always wanted to learn how to make sushi. It looks like it would be fun :)

    ♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sushi is one of my favourite foods. I would love to be able to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sushi and had absolutely no idea that it was fairly simple to make. My mind is blown. I definitely need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sushi! Carrot and tuna and anything with tuna apart from avocado is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, I'm not usually a fan of carrot but in sushi, anything is tasty!xx

      Delete
  12. Hi, I do loads of cooking but have never made sushi...I always thought it looked far too fiddly, but you have made it look so easy! So going to give it a go for me and the man this weekend (oh, do men eat sushi?) Anyway he will have to if I have toiled away in the kitchen!! p.s. please take a look at my blog if you get a mo? xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. We make sushi at home, when my mum was learning to make it they had a sort of mat, so that when you rolled it it didn't stick and you compressed it with the mat, if that makes any sense?
    Have you got any ideas of what to put in? Cucumber and prawns do get dull! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have seen those mats before, sounds like a good idea!
      Well if you wanted to try something really different, then maybe apple could be nice, or maybe avacado or green beans?xx

      Delete
  14. This is making me so hungry for sushi!!!
    http://liberatedbylkc.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that really looks easy...maybe I should try that some day! I've always been scared to try because it just looks SO complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this looks so fancy- I always thought sushi was super hard to make! sounds lovely with carrot too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie & so did I! It was really nice, I want to experiment other flavours too now aha!xx

      Delete
  17. I'm not normally a fan of sushi but this looks so delicious that I may have to give it another try! Also your photos looks so professional! Such a lovely down to earth blog! xxx

    Katie x
    http://katieskitchenjournal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sushi is my favourite food, but have never made it before! I'll try to make it one of these days x

    ReplyDelete