Thursday 30 July 2015

Being a first year Bartlett student.

My first year of architecture.

I // The visible and invisible. We were given a site along Greenwich beach and measured every single metre squared, examining the site in upmost detail - the visible. We created scaled drawings with the measurements and then focused in on the parts we we most interested by - invisible to most people. For me - the textures of the ground at different points.

II // Longing and Belonging. Our second project was to create an installation within our studio groups for the Royal Naval College in Greenwich. The installation had to have a sense of belonging to its site within the Royal Naval College and longing for the site along Greenwich beach. My studio group created an installation which changed vibrations into scratchings on chalk, depending on the skittle thrown down the alley.





III // Bibliothèque Sainte Geneviève. The whole year took a trip to Paris for a week. We had the best time gallivanting around Paris' most beautiful and exciting spaces. Foundation Louis Vuitton was my personal highlight. During the week we were also given building to survey and sketchbooks to scribble inspirations down. Mine - the grand library in the heart of Paris.

IV // The Whistling Café. This is the main one. Half the year was dedicated to this project. We were each given a specific program to design our houses/workplaces. My program: To create a house for a greasy spoon café owner with a passion for hot air balloons. I ended up designing my café to create different sounds according to the wind directions. This allows the owner to know the direction of the passing hot air balloons simply by listening to the sounds by the wind.


The year has been tough. Architecture means long hours and little free time. But I have met some of the most amazing people and learnt more than I thought I could. Now for year II.

~ ~ ~



No comments:

Post a Comment